Polycanvas is a versatile polyester fabric crafted using a plain weave to mimic the feel and look of canvas. It is impeccably more durable than cotton canvas and also water-resistant. Not only it is easier to clean, but also more efficient.
|Material||Has a feel and appearance similar to plastic material.|
|Texture||Smooth and silky|
|Durability||Durable and waterproof|
What is poly canvas?
Poly canvas is a multi-purpose synthetic fabric made from polyester. Poly canvas fabric is a significant upgrade in terms of durability owing to its application in home decor projects, accessories, and bags.
Polycanvas was made to eliminate the threat to animals and design a more durable and efficient material than leather. The warp and weft threads are knitted into a basic criss-cross formation to craft a similar fabric like canvas, but the one with attributes of plastic for water resistance.
Poly canvas vs cotton canvas
At present, there are two highly popular canvas fabrics available in the market – cotton and polyester. Polyester is much cheaper than cotton fabric and offers various advantages.
Quality-wise, polyester canvas feels cheap to the touch and is similar to plastic in appearance. It is waterproof and durable compared to cotton canvas.
The low priced poly canvas fabric is made from plastic fibers. These fibers are recycled to be served in the textile industry; thereby, reducing the carbon footprint.
Pros of poly canvas
- Poly canvas is less prone to fading, wrinkling, and shrinking as compared to cotton.
- Poly canvas dries faster than cotton as it absorbs less because of plastic fibers making it more durable.
- Poly canvas reduces the risk of large rips when used for advertisement hoardings, banners, movie screens or more.
- It is coated with waterproofing material which makes poly canvas water repellent. The mild dew, spilled water, or rain rolls off quickly.
- It is a cheap, low maintenance, medium weight, durable, and waterproof fabric.
Cons of poly canvas
- As poly canvas is made to wick moisture, the plastic fibers help in keeping it warm. The warmth in the fabric may sometimes result in hard bubbles on the surface.
- The polyester doesn’t absorb ink as well as cotton. The temperature changes cause the lively colors of poly canvas fabric to lose or fade color. Moreover, the ink on the top makes stretches and cracks visible on the outside with time.
- Cotton has a great advantage over poly canvas when it comes to dyeing. They absorb colors and blend well and do not require extra coating. In a way, the waterproof coating can limit the color absorption.
Uses of poly canvas
Every material has its pros and cons. Based on the purpose you wish to fulfill, all fabrics can exhibit quality performance just like poly canvas. Due to its availability and affordability, poly canvas is used in an array of decorative and creative fabric solutions.
- It can be used outdoors and indoors, irrespective of rain or sun, in the form of awnings, sunshades.
- Its water repellent and soft textured surface makes it a great choice for upholstery and seat covers.
- The possibility of printing, designs, textures, and patterns make it ideal for curtains, and other decorative finishes.
- It is perfect for pouches, purses, tote bags, and throw pillows.